Sunday 11 March 2012

Daylight Savings Time - Spring Ahead My Sleepy Friends



This is my clock which has Sprung Ahead
  Rise and Shine everyone we have SPRUNG AHEAD for spring.

Yeah, I can really see everyone bouncing out of bed one hour earlier on a cold Saturday uh I mean Sunday morning in March. 

Every year we dread the time changes in the Fall we love the extra hour of sleep but don't look forward to it getting darker an hour earlier, especially since the days have been steadily getting shorter anyway.  It makes me want to slow down and hibernate with the rest of nature.  Why make a bad situation worse I say.

  And just as we lived through the worst of the time change and things start to look up because the days are getting longer again and that horrible darkness is being lifted, we get hit again.  They take away an hour of our precious sleep.  How cruel and heartless to disturb our winter slumber.  We will soon get used to this sleep deprivation and settle into a "new" routine but for the first week, it is a bit of a challenge.  This year, the time change just happens to land during our March Break here in Ontario, so at least commuting for those that are working is a little lighter and we don't have to drag the kids out of bed in the morning.

How many people enjoy having to tell their children that it's time to get up a hour earlier today?

At 2 a.m. on Sunday, today, we are all told to get up out of bed and change the clocks!!!! So we all set our clocks for 10 to 2 and then race around the house and reset--or spring ahead--our alarm clocks, kitchen stove clocks, wall clocks, clocks on trinkets, microwave clocks, car clocks and all our watches with fury and delight!  Now it is instantly 3 a.m. instead of 2 a.m.  At least our cellphones and computers will help those of us too tired or reluctant to change the clocks as they spring ahead on their own--thanks guys!

I had to remind my sleeping and sleepy teenage son early this morn that he would be late for his part-time job if not for me as he set his alarm before going to bed but did not reset the time. I was rewarded for my act of mommery with a loud groan.

Be careful out there this morning and this week guys as the insurance companies warn us about sleep deprivation accident statistics.  Even if you have adjusted just fine, some other night owl may have not.

Now why in the name of  sleep deprivation would we do this? 

Well that's a whole new blog.  When I wake up from my springing ahead, I'll see what I can come up with. Something about farmers or electricity savings with the war.... don't hold me to it. Maybe you daylight savings trivia blog friends can refresh the rest of us.  Comment below.

And by the way, not all of Canada observes daylight savings time.  According to CBC news online areas in Quebec don't as well as pockets in Ontario and British Columbia.  Most of Saskatchewan does not observe the right of spring and has not since 1966.

No comments:

Post a Comment